Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Xendex of Immigration Labels

This was given to me by Steve Merril of Oklahoma City and I just had to share it, with his permission of course.


xenophobia (zen-oh-FOE-bee-yuh) irrational fear of foreigners
xenodeim (zen-oh-DAME) reasonable concern about immigration
xenotrauma (zen-oh-TRAW-muh) shock of too much immigration
xenophilia (zen-oh-FEE-lee-yuh) fondness for foreign things and people
xenopathy (zen-AH-puh-thee) overwhelming identification with foreigners
xenomania (zen-oh-MAY-knee-yuh) irrational foreign attraction, with little regard to effect one’s own nation
xenomels (ZEN-oh-mells) irrational people interested in immigration
xenosophs (ZEN-oh-soffs) people prudent in immigration matters
xenomores (ZEN-oh-mores) people reckless in immigration matters

Armed with these labels, an immigration reformer accused of xenophobia might well answer: “I’m not a xenophobe, I am much too rational. And I do not hate foreigners. In fact, I’m quite a xenophile when it comes to an appreciation of foreign cultures and people, although I do not go to extremes. I am certainly no xenomaniac. Like many xenomels, my xenodeim about the effects of mass illegal immigration on our society leaves me no choice but to be a xenosoph by seeking prudent levels of immigration.”
After accusers tried to sort out all the nuances of the suffixes, perhaps they would decide to just skip using “xen” words altogether.
I found the above during the early 1980s in an immigration book and made a copy of it. I do not know where the book is or what the source was. An exhaustive internet search failed to disclose the original source. However, it is a timely reminder of what the immigration reform movement needs, which is always telling the truth to people about our cause.
According to www.wikipedia.com the word xenophobia comes from the Greek words (xenos), meaning "foreigner" or "stranger," and phobos, meaning "fear."
Please pass this along to others so that we know what to call people who call us racists.

January 14, 2007 Steve Merrill, Oklahoma City

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The whole thing that pisses me off is they don't refute your argument. Instead, they just attach a label. That is a philosophical fallacy called Argument Ad Hominem. (I think I spelled that right but not sure).