Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I am downright disgusted

The other day some guy asked me at work why I always sit by myself. He then answered his own question by saying that he knows what I am doing, I am sitting there watching people, spying on them. Well, he is half-right, I am always watching people, but I am not spying. I am sitting there feeling absolutely disgusted with their trivial conversations.

I hear then talk about who won the football game, the NASCAR race, the NBA game, or whatever sporting event took place the day before. I hear them talk about some silly television show that was on last night.

What I find amazing is that people can spend so much time watching television, when in fact they hate what is being shown. According to an article in the September 17 issue of the Washington Times, "Americans may watch an average of 12 to 17 hours of television a week, but they continue to hate what they see."

http://washingtontimes.com/article/20070914/NATION/109140075/1002

What I do not hear is talk about how absolutely screwed up this country is, and that is what disgusts me. That is why I sit alone, because I cannot stomach trivial nonsense when there are much more important things people should be talking about.

I am not saying I hate these people, it is not in my nature to hate people, but that does not stop me from feeling utterly frustrated and disgusted with their apathy and ignorance concerning the state of affairs in this country.

When I do get the opportunity to talk with someone concerning one issue or another I am usually called a kook for my views. Sometimes however people tell me that I am much smarter than they are for being able to understand the Constitution and all these laws.

Believe me; I am no smarter than anyone else is. I have, however, taken the time to read and, most importantly, THINK about what I am reading. After all the Constitution and our laws are only words. Anyone who speaks English should be able to understand them if they were willing to put forth the effort.

When I first started writing articles, I just strung words together and hoped for the best. I can now go back, read some of my earlier writings, and see how much I have improved. I still do not consider myself a great writer, but practice will make me better. It all boils down to using your God given brains for something other than sending signals to your hand to switch the remote control or open another beer.

So let us try a simple experiment for some of you who may be a bit rusty when it comes to thinking.

As I stated earlier, laws are just words. Anyone can string words together, but does that make them law? No, it does not. So where do our laws come from? They come from our government, whether it is local, state, or federal. The question begs to be asked, what makes these laws binding upon us?

Let me try to answer that for you. To do so I need you to read from the Declaration of Independence, wherein it says, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

Our founders believed that we had certain rights that were not given to us by man, they were unalienable. Unalienable means, incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred. That means that these rights cannot be taken away from us.
The Declaration of Independence goes on to say that governments are instituted among men to secure these rights and they derive their powers from the consent of the governed.

Now is the time for you to stop and think. What does that mean to you? Here, let me help. It means that we have rights that cannot be taken from us, we institute governments to protect those rights, and that the government has only the powers that we give to them, NOT VICE VERSA!

What does the Declaration of Independence say about government when it endangers those rights? It says, "That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

I would hope that you all would know that the Declaration of Independence was written prior to our current form of government being instituted. So my next question is this, what gives our current government the power to enact laws that are binding upon the people? The answer of course is the U.S. Constitution.

The Constitution established the government. As the Declaration of Independence stated, governments are instituted among men, so who instituted the Constitution. We did, the Preamble to the Constitution says, "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

If you follow this logically, you now know that we have rights that cannot be taken from us, unalienable rights. We have governments instituted among us to secure those rights. We have a Constitution that institutes a government, whose job it is to secure those rights.

Article 6 of the Constitution says, "This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby..."

This Constitution is the law of all laws, the supreme law of the land. All other laws must conform to Constitutional dictates, or we should not be expected to abide by said law because it is unconstitutional.

Our Constitution establishes a Congress to enact laws and a president to execute the laws. As I have already proven, the Constitution is the supreme law, and therefore all laws that Congress enacts must abide by the powers granted Congress within the Constitution. What about the President?

Every president who enters office takes an oath, which can be found in Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution, “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Faithfully execute, that means he will make sure our laws are enforced. Article 2, Section 3 also states, “he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed”. That term faithfully execute must have been important, since it is found twice. For a president to faithfully execute our nation’s laws, he must first consider whether the law he is to execute does not violate the Constitution, since it is first amongst our laws, the supreme law of the land.

Now that I have explained things, gotten you to THINK, I have a homework assignment for you. It is a two-part assignment. Part 1 is to read Articles 1 and 2 of the Constitution, and then the Bill of Rights. Ponder these passages as you read them, using the THINKING skills I have awakened in you. Part 2 of your homework is to look at the laws we have today and see if they conform to what the Constitution authorizes, or if they violate it.

If they violate it, I want you to read once again the following, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Now you know why I sit alone. I hear these asinine conversations when people could be thinking about what I have just explained. When I hear people talking about things like this I will end my solitude, but in the meantime you people disgust me.

I feel the same as Samuel Adams must have when he said, “If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

No comments: